Thursday, November 09, 2006

Who needs a life anyway?

I am almost at the end of my first week of placement and I have no idea why I'm so tired. Every night this week I've been in bed before 10 which is just not like me. Could it be the stress? the grand total of 3.5 hrs travel every day? The studying in free periods, studying on the train, studying in the house, trying to do tasks, assignments, lesson plans etc all at once because I'm terrified of letting them slip then having to do them all at the last minute.

Let me tell you something about me. At the grand old age of 25 I'm having to do homework. I didn't do it in school, I only did it for essays and seminar paperts at uni, and now I'm having to learn a whole load of study skills I should in theory have learned about 10 years ago. Studying was something that happened to other people and I don't like the amount of effort I have to put in when everything up to now has been so effortless (and thoughtless generally, although my 7 highers and 2:1 honours degree would fool you into thinking otherwise). Not only that - I also have to teach these skills which I have never had, to teenagers who don't want them. Figure that one out!

In saying that - I'm loving it. I've taken 3 classes so far and, apart from a small case of 'lets try to wind up the new teacher' (unfortunately for them, I'm not really very windable), its been fun. I'm learning that my idea of gaining attention doesn't always work if a class is used to something else and that getting contributions from certain classes or people can be like drawing teeth. I'm also learning that I CAN stand up in front of them, I can keep focused on the objectives and hold to time scales and so far I can keep them interested, busy and learning while I do that. Good thing about drama is you pretty much have to evaluate at the end of every lesson or what you've just done is pointless, so its simpler to check how far they understand what you've done.

So its almost all good - an I'll cope with the hard bits. In the mean time I'm for early beds and lots of fish days - got to keep up the brain power :->

1 comment:

alysse_firefly said...

absurd though this is - I have just realised that people have left comments because I'm still trying to work out how all this stuff works.

So thank you very much for commenting!! Lesley, I'm doing drama teaching - although I can see where English would come in since they're quite close.

David - how come we didn't get offered chocolate for blogs? Or was I just not listening? I know I never shut up in class but I love the contexts class (and principles, and C&P and placements actually) and just really want to know everything about everything. And I'm nosey.

So thanks again guys. X