Sunday, November 26, 2006

Crits away!

This week has been dramatic (ironic huh?)

I had my first crit which went very well, all satisfactory. However I was so peeved because I had done the lesson twice and been running at the bell so I cut small bit and ended up having far too much time at the end. So of course she picked up on my pacing - quite rightly - but I couldn't believe it. I actually would have been closer to the time if I hadn't tried to change and over-compensated.

However, its done and my advice to anyone - especially myself for my second one a week on Monday - is not to get too stressed. I actually forgot she was there for most of the period and just got on with teaching the class. At the end of the day the comments were totally fair but I didn't completely crash and burn which is what I was worried about.

However, my other class, who were trying to test me the last couple of weeks had a great Tues/Wed and I thought we'd cracked it. So on Friday they were worse than ever. We got nothing done - I felt totally out of control - and I really wanted to just walk out of the room. Hopefully this week they'll be better but it always seems to be two good day and one horrendous one with this lot. Its especially aggravating because when they're good they're brilliant and I get such a buzz working with them but on Friday I could have stangled about 2/3 of them.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Oh well, to quote my favourite American Civil War film (because the war's hardly in it) 'Tomorrow is another day!'

No comments: