Friday, January 19, 2007

Once more into the breach dear friends!

Placement has been handed out and I can't say I'm thrilled. The school looks good, the department actually has two teacher rather than 1.5, but it's even further from home that before. I know they can't guarantee somewhere closer but I also know there are schools closer to home that do Drama but aren't taking Drama students. How do people opt in/out? Surely schools and local authorities should have a responsibility to take students - unless they have a probationer or something major happens in the department. 6:30 train then a bus is not good for anyone's state of mind!

However, it does look like an interesting place to go so I'm not too bothered - although my mum was ranting on my behalf anyway.

I'm really glad we've had this time back in the uni. I thought I'd be desperate just to get back out and into it but being back here gives an opportunity for reflection and to speak to others about how things went. I've heard some real horror stories about placements and learned a lot about different techniques that might work in some situations I encountered. I think, having had this 'time out' that I'm far better prepared than I was for my first placement. Not only that but I'm doing my options course in Pastoral care now and that is fantastic. My only concern is having to possibly choose between my subject and Guidance in the future - thanks McCrone!

It's been a busy week. Having evaluated a website for Drama and handed it in, I'm trying to get a head start on my assignment so I know what I'm looking for when I go out to the schools. There is so much assessment here, I was feeling swamped - until we had a class on Tuesday on Higher Drama - that's assessment! I'm trying to keep the balance by going to the gym three times a week, although I didn't get on Tuesday because the blood transfusion service was in a hall on the way and I was seduced by the thought of having needles stuck in my arm and a pint of blood stolen all at once (not really, but I would have felt guilty if I hadn't gone in.) So I went yesterday and have my fitness program and a guaranteed couple of hours where I don't have to think about assignments, lesson plans, classroom management, behaviour issues, assessment...

I think I need the gym as an anodyne to everything here. Time at home is great but I alsways feel I should be studying instead of playing with the animals, talking to my fiancee or reading my usual junk. Its important to get to somewhere you don't have that option so you can do something else totally guilt free.

No comments: