Thursday, December 14, 2006

And now, The end is near...

How fast does 6 weeks go? It's been hectic and full of ups and downs but I feel I've learned so much. I've always been a 'seat of my pants' kind of person and the sheer amount of planning required to deal with the 'conscripts' is mind-boggling. Plus the fact that some of my normal ways of working are quite abstract and its freaking some people out because they're so unwilling to try new things!

So I have some targets for myself when I get back to uni - Christmas is finishing assignment and vegging time! First is to work on my lesson planning. Short notes and mental triggers don't cut it in this world. Apparently things I find completely obvious would mean nothing to a teacher please-taking me.

Secondly, I need to work on my delivery, breaking things down even further, taking everything step by step by step and nothing can be assumed (not even that they might have heard of adverts apparently - and after dealing with abysmal attempts I can see why)

Thirdly, I need to Keep going over and over all the notes and books I have. I had let it slip for the first 3/4 weeks because I thought that doing things would make them more clear. But actually going back to the books when focusing on something integrates really well with the practical and helps everything make sense when you don't always have time to think about it in class. Hence the monumental planning!

And finally, I focused on one or two things specifically with my observing so I think I should do that with my teaching next time too. Not to the exclusion of everything else but just being more aware of something in particular each week. As I keep telling my classes, Drama requires 100% attenmtion 100% of the time. Apparently so does teaching. Exhaustion - here I come!
Wheeeeeeeee!

No comments: